Green Campus Initiative
Several unique aspects of AIT have fostered the commitment for sustainability: a multinational, multi-cultural community focus, nature friendly environment and a campus that continually strives to innovate & setting new benchmarks in all aspects of its activities.
With responsible and practical use of resources in the campus and a tailored roadmap for a green campus, AIT plans to demonstrate how it can serve as a beacon of sustainability. This initiative is designed to involve all AITians—faculties, staff, students, residents & families, concessionaires, etc. to create a unique experience for anyone visiting AIT. All aspects of AIT life – academics, research, transport, environment, buildings, etc. – will be favorably impacted. Implementing this initiative will demonstrate AIT’s leadership role on sustainability in the Asia-Pacific region.
|Courses that address topic related to sustainability
|Dedicated research & development on sustainability issues/concerns learning by doing
- Student research/project work related to sustainability issues to be conducted within AIT
- Encouraging scholarships for such researches (through various research centers inside AIT and/or external resources
Fabric and operation
|Resource efficient built environment – lowering the ecological footprint
- Building construction and renovation – green building
- Energy conservation
- Water conservation
- Waste minimization and recycling
- Sustainable transportation
- Green purchasing
Outreach and corporate social service
|Participation in sustainability programs (locally or internationally) for solidarity on sustainability issues
- Partnership with industries, communities, government (through sustainable technology development & dissemination, dissemination exemplary practice and/or through capacity building efforts in promoting sustainability)
- Organizing sustainability events involving students
- Career counselling/career events focused in sustainability
- Proper management of toxic chemicals
- Campus landscape planning – preserving the natural environment
- Reducing the use of chemical herbicides and pesticides – use of integrated pest management systems
- Dissemination of sustainability performance
The Need for Greening the Campus
- Today, where every sector is becoming increasingly proactive in environmental (GHG emission reduction) and sustainability issues, educational institutions like AIT is no exception.
- AIT needs to reinvent after the difficult period, and has chosen to re-establish its position as a role model for educational institutions in this region and beyond.
- AIT aims to `practice’ what it ‘preaches` by setting a living example of resource efficient and low-carbon campus, where learning about sustainability is reinforced by real life learning and living on a campus that showcases sustainability.
- Showcasing policy and technology applications through green campus initiative will demonstrate and underline AIT`s leadership role in education, research and outreach, and to attract bright students, new collaborations, more prestige and fame.
- Sustainability at AIT needs to have its imprint in all spheres of its activities.
- Greening AIT Campus would be initiated in few major sustainability themes, which could be expanded based on wider consultation.
To develop and implement the following as demonstration projects:
- Baseline Setting: Studies for gathering the overall ecological and/or carbon footprints from waste, wastewater, energy usage in the institute
- Waste Reduction, Reuse, Recycle: Mandatory waste segregation and food waste recycling/ composting or an anaerobic digestion.
- Water Management and Wastewater Treatment and Reuse: A pilot-scale-constructed wetland system for waste water treatment
- Energy Efficient Building/Operations: Making the Energy Building an exemplary energy efficient building, and installing solar lighting in one of the streets
- Sustainable/Green Purchasing: Preparation of staged sustainable purchasing code of conduct for office electronics (energy efficient/energy star products)
- Documentation and Dissemination of the sustainability performance through interactive “Eco-Campus Web Portal”: Since sustainability is a continuous process, continuous monitoring and evaluation would be needed. Also, the dissemination of sustainability performance and news through “Eco-Campus Web portal”. The web portal is an interactive platform to discuss/share sustainability ideas by stakeholders/users. The sustainability indicators and their scoring can be measured in the automated database as in “energy usage/saving” of different buildings for analysis and improvement. Several other interactive worksheets can be considered in each dimension.
|The French Environment and Energy Management Agency (ADEME) is a key player in the area of sustainable development at European and world levels. In close collaboration with its supervisory ministers and varied network. The agency is extending its expertise to emerging and developing countries in addition to industrialized nations.
- Prof. Chettiyappan Visvanathan
Contact details: Asian Institute of Technology, P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand ● Tel: +66-2 524 5410 / 5640
- Post Categories